The Expectation of Developing Film
《Lens》Nikon AIS 35mm f/2.8
《Film》Kodak T-Max 400
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
The Premiere Event
Away from Her is a feature film based on the short story “The Bear Came Over the
Mountain” by acclaimed Canadian author Alice Munro. Away from Her tells the story of
Grant and his wife Fiona, who has Alzheimer’s disease. It stars Oscar-winning actresses
Julie Christie and Olympia Dukakis, legendary Canadian actor Gordon Pinsent, and
actor Michael Murphy. The film was written and directed by the accomplished Canadian
actress Sarah Polley.
A special screening of Away from Her is scheduled on Wednesday, May 23rd at 6:30
p.m. at the Tower Theatre in Yorkton. A panel discussion on Alzheimer’s disease
immediately follows the screening in the theatre at 8:15 p.m. Panel presenters include:
• Gordon Pinsent, featured actor in the film;
• Joanne Bracken, Executive Director for the Alzheimer Society Of Saskatchewan
. Laurie Blahay, Past President for the Alzheimer Society of Saskatchewan and Medical Social Worker for the Sunrise Health Region.
Following the panel discussion, guests are invited to attend a special reception at 8:45
p.m. with members of the panel, sponsors, and film festival dignitaries in the lobby of the
theatre. The all-inclusive ticket price to attend the events of the evening is $ 25/person.
Tickets are available from the Yorkton Short Film and Video Festival Office in Yorkton
at 49 Smith Street East Yorkton, SK S3N 0H4 or by phone at: 306.782.7077, or by
calling the Alzheimer Society of Saskatchewan at 306.949.4141 or 1.800.263.3367.
How will proceeds generated from the premiere event be
Funding raised from the event will be used in the Sunrise Health Region for:
• Professional support to the four volunteer facilitated Caregiver Support and
• Information Groups and the two community based support volunteers in the Sunrise Health Region
• Education opportunities for professional care providers
• In-class Children’s Education Program for Grade three students
• Community presentations and workshops
• A Public Forum in the 2007 – 2008 Program Year
Related Film Articles